There are just some books that you should have in your library whether you have cats or dogs or both. The following is a list of books that have great resources and can help you with behavioral issues, training and as well what to expect when adopting a new member of the family. Now it’s not every book you should have in your library as there are just too many great books out there to list them all, but it’s just a few you should consider reading. Yes some books are similar so ultimately it’s your choice what you choose.
Books by Author Amy Shojai are wonderful and easy to read.
- Complete kitten care – a must read for people adopting kittens.
- CAT FACTS: THE PET PARENTS A-to-Z HOME CARE ENCYCLOPEDIA -a book to help understand health issues.
- Complete care for your aging cat -a go-to book for anyone with a senior cat, it gives extra information on how to help your senior cat live a long healthy life.
- ComPETability: Solving Behavior Problems In Your Multi-Cat Household – a great book to have if your cats are not getting along.
- ComPETability: Solving Behavior Problems In Your Cat-Dog Household – dogs and cats, let’s face it they don’t always love each. This book can help!
- PETIQUETTE: SOLVING BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS IN YOUR MULTI-PET HOUSEHOLD -A great book if you have multi pets to help you have a peaceful home.
Books by Pam Johnson Bennet are also great, it has a bit of sense of humor and it more geared towards helping you understand more about cats and their behavior.
- Think like a cat – Ever wanted to know more about why your cat does certain things or just more information on cats in general? This book has a ton of information that can help you understand more why your furry friend does what it does.
- Cat vs Cat – A fantastic book to help cats get along peacefully in a home and more information on introductions to help them get off on the right foot.
- Starting from Scratch: How to Correct Behavior Problems in Your Adult Cat -Does your cat have some behavioral issues that you are struggling to stop? This book has a lot of information that can help you do it, from litter box aversion to cat aggression and everything in between!
- CatWise: America’s Favorite Cat Expert Answers Your Cat Behavior Questions – Have questions on cats? This book has loads of questions that was answered by a cat behaviorist.
The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs by Patricia McConnell Ph.D. – a great resource to understand why your behavior can affect your dog! A must have book!
- Complete puppy care by Amy Shojai -a book that has all things puppy and is perfect for the first time puppy owner.
- The power of positive training by Pat Miller- want a comprehensive book on positive reinforcement training? this is the book for you! complete with a diary to track your progress.
- It’s me or the dog: how to have a perfect pet by Victoria Stillwell -this book is extremely easy to understand and has photos to help guide you. Even kids would love this book and can help with training.
- Inside of a dog: what dogs see, smell and know by Alexandra Horowitz -what to know more about why a dog does certain things? This book can explain a dog’s inner mind.
- The Cautious Canine: How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears by Patricia McConnell Ph.D – A fantastic book to have if you have a fearful dog.
Don’t Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training by Karen Pryor -A MUST HAVE book!
- Before & After Getting Your Puppy Hardcover by Dr. Ian Dunbar -The perfect book for when you are getting a puppy.
- ComPETability: Solving Behavior Problems In Your Multi-Dog Household by Amy Shojai – A book to help your dogs get along.
- Complete care for your aging dog by Amy Shojai -A great book for your senior dog to help make his golden years comfy.
We hope this list of books can help you with training and help you when you are dealing with behavioral issues so you can enjoy the experience of having a pet.